This Broccoli Salad is a delightful blend of freshness and crispness, bursting with flavor, and ready in just 20 minutes! It makes for a perfect starter or side dish to complement any meal.
If you haven’t experienced the delights of this broccoli salad, you’re truly missing out. It’s a harmonious blend of crispness, crunchiness, tanginess, and creaminess that will set your taste buds dancing. What makes this dish truly special is that every bite is different because of the number of ingredients incorporated into it.
I appreciate salads that go beyond the usual lettuce, expanding the horizons of what a salad can be. If you enjoy this, you might also like my other recipes, Mango Salad, Korean Cucumber Salad, and 10 Minute Tomato and Walnut Salad!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- Broccoli salad is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- We love this recipe because the crisp texture of broccoli mixed with other fresh ingredients brings a satisfying crunch.
- The blend of fresh veggies, raisins, craisins, bacon, almond slivers, and a slightly sweet dressing is irresistibly tasty and gives a delightful mix of flavors.
- Broccoli salad is a healthy meal that is simple and quick to prepare, ready in just 20 minutes.
- Broccoli Florets: Adds a fresh, earthy flavor and a crunchy texture, forming the nutritious base of the salad.
- Cauliflower Florets: Complements broccoli with its mild, slightly nutty taste.
- Bacon: Infuses a savory, smoky flavor, creating a rich contrast to the fresh vegetables.
- Dressing (Mayonnaise, White Vinegar, Granulated Sugar): Binds the ingredients with its creamy texture, while the sweetness and acidity balance the flavors.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Vegetarian Option: Replace bacon with smoked tempeh or sun-dried tomatoes to maintain a smoky flavor while keeping it plant based.
- Nut Variation: Try using various nuts like walnuts or pecans to bring out a richer flavor and delightful crunch.
- Seeds and Cheese Enhancement: Toss in sunflower seeds for added texture, and feta cheese or sharp cheddar cheese for a burst of bold flavor.
How to Make Broccoli Salad
Step #1: In a small bowl, combine the mayo, white vinegar, and granulated sugar for the dressing and stir well.
Step #2: Next, in a large salad bowl, mix together all the salad ingredients.
Step #3: Then, pour the dressing onto the salad and mix well.
Step #4: Chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serving, allowing the dressing to infuse the salad with flavor.
Step #5: Finally, serve and enjoy!
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Preparation: Cut the broccoli and cauliflower florets into bite-sized pieces for easier eating and better dressing coverage.
- Bacon Cooking: Cook bacon until it’s crispy to add a rich, smoky flavor and crunchy texture.
- Toasting Almonds: Toast whole or sliced almonds lightly to bring out their natural oils and enhance their nutty flavor.
- Dressing Mixture: Mix the dressing ingredients thoroughly until well combined, ensuring that the sugar is completely dissolved to ensure a consistent, smooth texture and flavor.
- Chilling Time: Allow the salad to chill sufficiently to let the flavors meld together.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, just store the dressing and each ingredient separately in the refrigerator and then 1 hour before serving, mix it all together and store it in the fridge.
No, unfortunately, you must use fresh broccoli in this recipe to maintain a crunchy texture and vibrant color. Frozen broccoli will not work.
Any type works, but using thick-cut, smoked bacon provides a richer, more robust flavor.
Store broccoli salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days for freshness. It’s best to avoid freezing, as it can make the broccoli and other ingredients mushy and lose their crisp texture upon thawing.
Broccoli Salad Recipe
For the Salad
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 6 strips of bacon - cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup red onion - finely diced
- 1/8 cup golden raisins
- ⅛ cup craisins - (also known as dried cranberries)
- 1/8 cup almond slices or whole almonds - toasted
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, white vinegar, and granulated sugar for the dressing.
- Next, in a large salad bowl, mix together all the salad ingredients.
- Then, pour the dressing onto the salad and mix well.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serving, allowing the dressing to infuse the salad with flavor.
- Finally, serve and enjoy!