This Sour Apple Martini recipe is a classic cocktail bursting with color that will make your taste buds pucker!
The most distinctive characteristic of an Appletini is its bright green coloring. You can spot it from a mile away when someone orders one, which is likely why they have become so popular. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve seen an eye-catching drink at a bar and told the bartender, “I want one of those.”
Something about a beverage with vodka in it always makes me feel high-class. If you’re a fan of vodka drinks, then you should also try my Espresso Martini, Fresh Cranberry Vodka Spritzers with Rosemary, and Marionberry Vodka Cocktail – The Raindrop!
Table of Contents
What is a Sour Apple Martini?
Sour apple martinis, or Appletinis, are one of the most common fruit martinis you will find at a bar. One thing you may not know about this apple martini is that its original name was the “Adam’s Apple Martini.” It is named after the bartender who created it back in 1996.
The Appletini boasts a vibrant and playful personality, characterized by its bright green color and a flavor profile that strikes a delightful balance between sweet and tart. The ingredients in this cocktail recipe include vodka, sour apple schnapps, and apple juice, all of which come together to create a refreshing and crisp drinking experience.
Why We Love This Recipe
- The sour apple martini strikes a balance between sour and sweet vibrant apple essence.
- Its bright green hue adds a touch of elegance and visual appeal, making it a centerpiece of cocktail presentations.
- The martini offers a refreshing zest perfect for unwinding and rejuvenating during social gatherings.
- The appletini recipe is simple and requires only three key ingredients.
- Vodka: Vodka contributes a smooth, clean taste that acts as a strong, neutral base.
- Apple Juice: Two ounces of apple juice infuses the martini with natural sweetness and fruity essences.
- Sour Apple Schnapps: Vital for introducing a tart, vibrant apple flavor.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Green Apple Fusion with Smirnoff: For more apple flavor, use a flavored vodka. Mix Smirnoff green apple vodka, sour apple schnapps, and apple juice. Rim the chilled cocktail glass with sugar and garnish with a crisp apple slice.
- Sweeter: To make a sweeter version, add a splash of simple syrup or triple sec.
How to Make a Sour Apple Martini
Step #1: Add ice cubes to your cocktail shaker, then pour in the vodka, apple juice, and sour apple schnapps.
Step #2: Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
Step #3: Pour into your favorite martini glass, garnish with a green apple slice, and enjoy!
- Chill the martini glass: Place your martini glass in the freezer for a few minutes before pouring to keep your Sour Apple Martini nice and cold.
- Prep the apple slices: Brush the apple slices with lemon juice to help prevent them from turning brown.
- Shake with precision: Add ice to your cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for around 30 seconds. This helps to thoroughly mix and chill the ingredients.
- Strain and serve: Pour the chilled mixture into your chilled martini glass and garnish with apple slices.
Frequently Asked Questions
An apple martini, or appletini, is typically made with vodka, apple schnapps, and apple juice, creating a sweet and fruity cocktail.
Schnapps encompasses various flavored liqueurs, including peach schnapps, peppermint schnapps, and sour apple schnapps, each offering a distinct taste.
An Appletini is sweet and fruity, made with vodka, sour apple schnapps and juice. On the other hand, classic martini is dry, typically consisting of gin or vodka and vermouth.
DeKuyper Sour Apple Pucker is a specific brand of sour apple schnapps, known for its bold, tart flavor, while apple schnapps can vary in taste and may be less tart.
Yes, you can make this with green apple schnapps, but it may not be as tart as using sour apple schnapps.
A sour apple martini is ideally enjoyed fresh. For short-term storage, refrigerate in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Consume it within 1-2 days to maintain flavor.
Sour Apple Martini Recipe
- 3 oz vodka
- 2 oz apple juice
- 2 1/2 oz sour apple schnapps
- granny smith apple slices - optional garnish
- Add ice cubes to your cocktail shaker, then pour in the vodka, apple juice, and sour apple schnapps.
- Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Pour into your favorite martini glass, garnish with a granny smith apple wedge and enjoy!